Thursday, May 30, 2013

Kangaroo Burgers and a Full English Breakfast



There's no question that I absolutely love food, so you could say I was a bit excited to try out all the food England has to offer. And after only a week here, I am proud to report that I am obsessed with the delicious meals this country has to offer! While eating out tends to add up, if you look in the right places, you can find cheap, delicious meals to satisfy your food obsession :)

The first night here, I had a Cheese and Chutney sandwich from The Green. I had absolutely no idea what Chutney was, but it ended up being this jam type thing with yummy cheese on a sandwich, so I was one happy camper. First meal in London? Success!

Then, I knew I had to have some Fish 'N Chips as soon as I could, so when we all went to The Sherlock Holmes Pub for dinner one night, this meal was definitely a must for me. I wasn't sure how the mushed peas would turn out, but if you eat them warm, they're actually really good! The fries (called chips here) are thicker and have more potato than I'm used to, but they're still great with some fried fish and mashed peas. Overall, I was very happy with this meal. And the fact that it was a pub dedicated to Sherlock Holmes wasn't bad either!

Next, I went to The Borough Market and had an amazing time taking in all the food. Seriously, it was heaven! There were so many samples to try and I could not get enough of the cheeses. I swear I walked by stalls 4 or 5 times because the cheese samples were that good. At an exotic meet stall, I tried out the Kangaroo Burger, and it was so good! I had no idea what it would taste like or if it would be good at all, but I ended up loving it. There were so many different toppings on it (like caramelized onions, mayo, a fruity spread, and lettuce) that it all went together really well. I can't wait to go back and try some of their other exotic meat burgers!

On Sunday, since I'm in London, I knew it was time to have a real English Breakfast. There's a cute little place called Alford's Deli about five minutes from my flat, so me and four other people from the program went out Sunday morning to try out their Full English Breakfast. Good thing I like breakfast food, because it was huge and tasted delicious! I don't like mushrooms, so those stayed on the plate, but everything else was so good. The toast was nice and warm, the eggs were good, as were the beans, sausage, and bacon. I love beans, so when I saw that they were part of the breakfast, I was so excited. This definitely filled me up and my stomach was definitely warm and happy for the rest of the day. 

Last, but definitely not least, is a meal I picked up during my Cambridge visit on Saturday. Outside of King's College was a little market where they were selling all kinds of things from books and clothes, to candy and burgers. I decided to try out this meatball baguette and boy was it good. It was so big, warm, and just delicious. The baguette was probably the best part, though, because I love bread and the bread on this sandwich was amazing. Yeah for food markets!

Needless to say, I'm in heaven when it comes to food here. Hopefully I can find some delicious, cheap places during the rest of my stay here! I'll be sure to keep you all updated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...